Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tell us about yourself?

  • Pertinent experience
  • Relevant education
  • Key skills that are unique to you
This is almost always the first question that I ask in an interview and I am constantly surprised by the number of people who have not prepared a concise response.  I view this question as the first chance for the interviewee to verbally summarize their skills and abilities as they relate to the open position.  Ideally the interviewee should consider this question a chance to differentiate themselves from their competition for the open position.  In simple terms, if you have unique or rare skills that are relevant to the open position then this is your chance to stand out from the competition.  Also, note that it is human nature to remember most clearly the first and last things that are communicated.  In terms of the formal interview this is likely to be your first chance to communicate. (Advertisers have used this tidbit of information for years by beginning and ending their ads with what they believe are the strongest selling points)

 

Examples of good answers


A truck driver interviewing to haul liquid hazardous waste:
"I successfully completed the ABC school of Trucking course in 1998, have been a long haul trucker for 12 years and have 6 years of experience hauling flammable liquids. I have a clean driver's abstract, a current license, and an up to date hazmat training certificate. This year, I was awarded my companies safe driver award in recognition of my years of experience without a single safety incident."

An engineer interviewing for a technical support role:
"I have a degree in electrical engineering from Caltech coupled with 5 years of direct work experience with "the product". I have also successfully completed American Management Association courses on communications excellence. At "an international conference in my area of expertise" I earned the award for outstanding oral presentation. Additionally, I have just developed a workplace training course on careful communications."

No comments:

Post a Comment